Having masked off the 1967 MGB GT engine compartment completely (maybe!) it was time to media blast. This is something I have always wanted to do, a bucket list kinda thing, know idea why. Media blasting has been up there with going to the Galapagos Islands, having a date with Britney Spears, being the Formula 1 World Champion and going to space. I’ve only managed to do one of these so far, I’ll let you figure it out. Hey, the answer isn’t as easy as you think!
Anyway, back to the bucket list of media blasting. I bought one of the
Harbor Freight 40 lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blasters
I love the way that pasted in in big letters! Here’s a photo of the gadget. This is one cool tool. It was cheap at about $80 with a coupon and fills a bucket list requirement. I’m a happy dude.
I spent a few hours dumping all sorts of crap into it to see what type of results I would get. My first experiment was with everyday sand. Yeah, you know the stuff. It’s the stuff cats like to poop in, kids play in it, it looks great on beaches but… it can bloody kill you! While it does a great job stripping off paint it also kind of messes up your lungs. Looks up silicosis and scare yourself. I tried sand with proper protection but decided that a safer alternative might be good.
A quick trip to the local car parts guy and I ended up with recycled beer bottles or something similar. This stuff is cheap and very aggressive, cutting through the original paint like butter. The sandy beige original MGB color came off very quickly with a little more time needed to get the red primer off. I decided to not worry much about the primer, if it didn’t come off quickly it was well attached to the metal.
This Harbor Freight Blaster works like a charm, it’s a bit of experience to get the airflow and media flow happening correctly but once you nail it life is good. Check out these photos! I’ll spend another 10 minutes or so media blasting and should be looking really good. Some hand sanding and I’ll have the best looking MGB GT engine compartment on the island! The toughest part will be trying to match the paint.