What a PITA! There are a few things that are almost impossible to do on a small car without a lift. Installing the exhaust system on the MGB is one of them. With the car on jack stands I can barely get my head under the side of the car to get a decent view of the exhaust manifold.
The first thing I learned is that it would have been far easier to attach the manifold studs to the exhaust manifold before I installed it on the car. There isn’t much room down there. Next time!
I did manage to separate the old exhaust system into 2 pieces so at least the weight wasn’t too crazy and using 4×4 lumber managed to block it into place approximately where it needed to go. Installing the nuts and lock washers was a test of my patience as a couple of them aren’t too difficult but some of the others are almost impossible to get started, even when using a socket with a flex head. I managed to get 4 of the 6 done properly and ran a 1/4 in bolt through the flange for the 5th. Once I have the car on a lift in the next week or so I’ll redo all of them if needed but this should be good for at least the “first” start in 3 years.
Unfortunately the old exhaust is very ratty but at least it’s now installed. One more step finished to my effort to get the MGB running again.
Celebration time. My Adirondack chairs are calling. Time for a glass of wine!