Occasionally you wonder whether a job should have been tackled in another way. Rewiring my 1967 MGB GT is one of those jobs. Wiring harnesses with upgraded fuses and relays are available from a number of vendors that would make the job easy. But that’s not my style.
I went ahead and started pulling wires in a “I hope” logical manner. This was working with one circuit at a time and then moving on once the circuit was completed. Of course it’s always a little more difficult than that but you get the idea.
The big downside of rewiring in this method is the lack of wire colours available locally. I know many drivers go through a company like British Wiring to buy the correct colours but I decided to work with what I have and label the circuits well. A big advantage of not using a pre-made wiring harness is that I could design my own system and it also gave me the opportunity to use a larger wire gauge. Most MG’s use 18 Gauge and 16 Gauge where I have used 14 Gauge for the bulk of the wiring.
At this point the engine compartment looks like a rats nest of colourful wires. Every circuit on the car works however so at least I don’t need to trace any problems. I’ll start wrapping the harness soon. Some day it will look respectable again.
If I were to do this job again I would have done all the rewiring before installing the engine. At least I’ve learned something for next time.