There is one area on my GT that has me a little concerned. There is a ledge close to the top of the front fenders that was completely full of dirt when I first started working on the car. I didn’t even know there was a ledge in this area until I pulled out the grungy silt. The photo below with the fender removed shows this area highlighted (this isn’t my car!).
The photo below is what this area looked like after I first removed all the dirt. I knew there was some rust in here but wasn’t overly concerned at this point.
All this has changed however. Since I put my MGB GT up on its’ redneck car lift I have way better access to this area and proceeded to shove my head in closer and take a number of photographs. This is what I found.
Certainly the passengers side is the worst with some pretty serious rust issues and the driver’s side isn’t much better. I’ll try and get in there with a wire brush and clean it up as well as possible. I guess this is a situation where I’ll have to hope that one of the rust neutralizers will do a good job. Of course, to do this properly would require removing the front fenders and that’s not going to happen. Anyway, rust neutralizer, some primer and some undercoating hopefully will slow down the decay. At least structurally the areas look OK.
Whether I can get the spray panels to seal well is another story but there’s always caulking. Life is fun.