Once again a project that wasn’t supposed to happen is happening. After recommending that you don’t take apart perfectly good MGB GT carburetors the weather got bad and I went crazy. I completely disassembled one of my SU HS4 carburetors yesterday afternoon and it was fun. Here the unfortunate carburetor is almost apart, a few small pieces left to strip. I’ll be replacing all the gaskets, seals and the throttle shaft at this point but knowing my history a complete rebuild might happen.
I’ve been taking a really soft wire brush mounted on a drill to the parts and they polish nicely. A pretty carburetor is a good carburetor. The big question now is do I polish a little more and then clear-coat these pieces. The last aluminum parts I clear-coated looked fantastic but of course in the long term it would likely be more maintenance.
To make me feel good about this exercise I’ve uploaded a photo of the carburetors before I started the restoration. At this point they have been lightly cleaned. What an improvement!
Tomorrows job… clean carburetor number 2.